Oro Loma Sanitary District Named a Bay Hero for Innovative Project to Protect Against Sea Level Rise

SAN LORENZO, Calif., April 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Oro Loma Sanitary District and Castro Valley Sanitary District are joint recipients of a 2017 Bay Hero Award. The Bay Hero Award was presented to the sanitary districts’ boards by the San Francisco Bay Institute in recognition of their far-reaching vision and response to sea level riseSea level can change, both globally and locally, due to (i) changes in the shape of the ocean basins, (ii) changes in the total mass of water and (iii) changes in water density. Factors leading to sea level rise under global warming include both increases in the total mass of water from the ..., as well as their undaunted efforts to innovate toward a sustainable solution.

“This is a great honor that is well deserved by our districts’ boards,” said Jason Warner, General Manager of Oro Loma Sanitary District. “These individuals persevered through numerous obstacles to obtain the funding and collaboration needed to get the horizontal levee off the drawing board and make it a reality. We are extremely proud of their vision, and even more proud of what the horizontal levee means to our community and the shoreline.”

The horizontal levee project is the culmination of the board members’ and staff initiatives. The horizontal levee demonstration is a full-scale pilot of a sea levelChanges in sea level, globally or locally, due to (i) changes in the shape of the ocean basins, (ii) changes in the total mass and distribution of water and land ice, (iii) changes in water density, and (iv) changes in ocean circulation. Sea level changes induced by changes in water density are ... rise response, providing multiple benefits. These include robust floodThe overflowing of the normal confines of a stream or other body of water, or the accumulation of water over areas that are not normally submerged. Floods include river (fluvial) floods, flash floods, urban floods, pluvial floods, sewer floods, coastal floods, and glacial lake outburst floods ... protection, expansion of upland transition habitat (high ground during peak surge events), improved San Francisco Bay water qualityDrinking water quality has a micro-biological and a physico-chemical dimension. There are thousands of parameters of water quality. In public water supply systems water should, at a minimum, be disinfected—most commonly through the use of chlorination or the use of ultra violet ..., and lower costsCost: The consumption of resources such as labour time, capital, materials, fuels, etc. as the consequence of an action. In economics, all resources are valued at their opportunity cost, which is the value of the most valuable alternative use of the resources. Costs are defi ned in a variety of ... compared to traditional sea barriers. It is located on the southern edge of the existing waterClimate change is expected to exacerbate current stresses on water resources from population growth and economic and land-use change, including urbanisation. On a regional scale, mountain snow pack, glaciers and small ice caps play a crucial role in freshwater availability. Widespread mass ... pollution control facility jointly owned by Oro Loma and Castro Valley Sanitary Districts. Instead of a vertical wall to protect against storm surges, a horizontal levee uses vegetation on a gentle slope to break waves. The native plants and wildlife that live on horizontal levees can thrive while helping to further process cleaned wastewater from treatment plants.

Now that the pilot is constructed, its operation and benefits are being studied by a research team from UC Berkeley led by civil and environmental engineering professor Dr. David L. Sedlak. The research will quantify the water quality benefits. The pilot will also serve to demonstrate the quality of the habitat created by the horizontal levee.

Oro Loma and Castro Valley Sanitary Districts partnered to pay for the $9M demonstration and equalization projectProject is an intervention designed to achieve specific objectives within specified resources and implementation schedules, often within the framework of a broader program. (Glossary Monitoring and Evaluation Terms; MERG Monitoring & Evaluation Reference Group and UNAIDS).  An Integrated Regional Water Management Program grant provided $2.1M of the required funds. 

The Board members recognized include:

Oro Loma Sanitary District
Shelia Young, President
Timothy Becker
Roland Dias
Rita Duncan
Dan Walters

Castro Valley Sanitary District
Melody Appleton, President
Daniel Akagi
Ralph Johnson
Timothy McGowan
Dave Sadoff

About Oro Loma Sanitary District

Oro Loma Sanitary District was formed on August 7, 1911, and is one of the oldest sanitary agencies in Alameda County, California. As a special district of Alameda County government, Oro Loma provides wastewater collection and treatment, solid wasteWaste consists of unwanted and thrown away goods that often still have value as fuel or raw material., and recycling services. The District serves several communities in unincorporated Alameda County, including San Lorenzo, Ashland, Cherryland, Fairview, as well as portions of Castro Valley and designated areas within the cities of Hayward and San Leandro. Oro Loma’s service area is located about 13 miles south of Oakland and 30 miles north of San Jose on the eastern shore of the San Francisco Bay.

Media Contact:
Jason Warner, General Manager
Oro Loma Sanitary District
Phone: 510-276-4700
Email: 155071@email4pr.com

SOURCE Oro Loma Sanitary District

Powered by WPeMatico