Do not Wait For Everyone Else to Do It! A quick look at why Americans and People of the world for that matter should begin to use reusable grocery bags. A look at the true horrors associated with paper and plastic bags and why we all need to act now to do our part in saving the environment by eliminating the usage of paper and plastic bags.
1) A Plastic bag takes 450 years to biodegrade.
2) The production of Paper bags causes 70% more pollution than Plastic.
3) When Plastic "photo degrades" it ends up in our oceans. Incidentally, it appears much like a plankton, and is then consumed by fish. Fish eat it, and it winds up on your dinner table.
4) The recipe for making paper bags starts with 1 part pulp, 400 parts WATER.
5) The recycling of plastic emits heavy metals into the air causing extreme air pollution.
6) An average person will use over 350 bags in a single year!
7) In New York City, one less grocery bag per person would reduce waste by 5 million pounds and save $ 250,000 in disposal costs.
In 1999 more than 14 million trees were cut down to produce 10 billion paper bags that were used by Americans that year.
9) Reusable bags save 700+ bags over the span of their lifetime!
10) if we spread the word about the importance of reusing our grocery bags, work together, and somehow this movement catches on, the end up benefit to the Earth is going to be huge! We are talking millions of gallons of fresh water saved, millions of gallons of fuel saved, and hundreds of thousands of acres of forest land saved every year!