We all want to look as young as we can, for as long as we can. Our lifestyle choices and how we take care of our skin, can all play a part in delaying the signs of ageing, although we do have to accept that to age, is both natural and inevitable.
The ageing process shows on our face, and this happens for a variety of reasons:
- Time naturally takes its toll
- Prolonged exposure of the sun causes the breakdown of elastin fibres
- Hormonal changes. Women of post-menopausal age can notice a loss of density on the skin
- Smoking. Smokers tend to have more wrinkles than non-smokers
- Repetitive muscle movement can cause lines and wrinkles
Botox is probably the most amazing and effective anti-ageing and anti-wrinkle treatment available. Like most injections, botox can cause discomfort, so doctors offer topical anaesthesia about ten minutes before the procedure to numb the area. We inject botox into the skin and it temporarily relaxes the muscles. The treatment is safe, affordable, convenient and fast, and the procedure is usually completed within 15 or 20 minutes. The results will last for at least 3 or 4 months.
Wrinkles are the folds and creases that appear on the skin and are a natural part of the ageing process. The primary cause of facial wrinkles are the repetitive movements used when we make our facial expressions, and over time they form crows feet, frown lines and marionette lines. Lines around the mouth and lips start to appear when we pucker up the lips when smoking. The skin is also exposed every day to the elements; the wind, sun, dirt, and pollution, and it's inevitable that this will eventually affect your skin in noticeable ways.
- Fine lines - are shallow and are found in areas of facial movement, such as the eyes, mouth and upper lip, from laughing, smoking, eating and squinting.
- Wrinkles - are depressions in the surface of the skin which can look either coarse or fine.
- Deep set wrinkles - we call these expression lines and they are usually found on the forehead, the corners of the eyes and vertical lines on the side of the mouth, usually caused by frowning, raising your eyebrows and smiling.
Botox injections are non-invasive and are very popular and the treatment offers people of all ages a way to, not only reduce the wrinkles, but also have strategically placed injections as a preventive measure, to stop new wrinkles forming.