Enjoying the good life, well fed Al Gore could save his carbon credits and get lean-and-mean by hopping onto the latest generation of eco-friendly money-saving collapsible bikes. Affordable, easy-to-ride, quick fit hinge-framed to slip into the back of a car or onto a bus or train, fold up bikes offer the perfect environmental solution to the energy and pollution crisis… and no small amount of fun!
Commuter Bike To Work – No Global Warming… Just A Hotter Trim You. Getting fit, saving commuter tolls, getting “into the flow” rather than fighting traffic and road rage becomes an easy-access reality with modern collapsible bicycle designs.
Buyer’s Tip #1 – Choosing The Best Folding Bike For Your Needs. Is it work… or is it travel… or perhaps just around-the-neighborhood casual riding that you have in mind? Whatever your preference, check out the 16 in. or 20 in. wheel sized folding bikes, making sure that it’s big enough so that your riding stance is comfortable and that easy-rhythm pedaling efficiency is possible regardless of hills or road conditions.
The two key sizing factors are overall frame length (end-to-end) along with seat post height and corresponding handlebar front stem length. Get “set up” on your commuter bicycle by speaking to a local bike pro shop.
Tip: While “on the saddle” of your folding bike, your leg should be extended at the bottom of the pedal’s arc to the point just short of full extension. Reason? To gain maximum power yet avoid hyper-extension or flexing of the knee.
Buyer’s Tip #2 – Multi Gear Multi Speed Performance Fold Bikes. Like their touring bike and mountain bike kin, folding bicycles offer a wide spectrum of riding possibilities.
* British Designs. Traditional and popular British based Brompton folding bicycle offers a straight forward 3-speed or 6-speed option wheel hub and derailleur assembly.
* German Top Designs. Meanwhile, German Birdy folding bicycle designs include the 9-gear Speed or the 14-gear Rohloff all in single-piece aluminum tube construction for a full suspension comfortable ride.
* American Engineering. USA designer Dahon folding bicycle designs push the speed-and-gearing choice envelope even further, with models offering over 24-gear riding options. “Fast spin high RPM pedaling” is the goal, for low-stress high efficiency riding to work or urban riding while on vacation.
Buyer’s Tip #3 – Long Life Performance Materials And Engineering For Fold Up Bikes. ‘Re-designing the wheel’ drives the folding bicycles engineers to exploit a wide technology resource pool for performance materials such as the Dahon folding bike and its use of double butted 7005 aluminum tubing for strength and reduced weight. Anodized alloy frames, stainless steel spokes, sealed bearings and wheel hub and derailleur assemblies, titanium handle bars or titanium pedals and titanium rear forks for high strength light weight performance.
Buyer’s Tip #4 – Commuter Bike Accessories That Make A Difference. You’re saving gas, money, getting fitter, contributing to a Green World… but you still have to get to work on time, safely and with minimum fuss when storing your bike on a connecting train or in your office.
* Folding Bike Case. Folding bike accessories that give you the bottom line solution begin with the folding bike bag or the hard shell complement, the folding bike case. Typically 30 seconds or less is all you’ll need to open frame hinges, adjust seat post and handlebars, clip together components before speedily inserting your fold bike into its case. Total weight? Generally under 27 lbs.
* Folding Bike Basket And Luggage Holder. Simple clip-on attachments to your commuter bike mean that you can easily “commute” with spare gear, your lunch, your briefcase and laptop and more.
* Safety Lights And Water Bottle. There’s nothing wrong with being “highly visible” to nearby commuter cars. Solution? Besides wearing some brightly colored jacket, or placing reflector Velcro strips around your ankles, think about installing a light weight safety flashing light on your foldable bicycle.
Bottom Line. Learn more about the best folding bicycle designs, equipment options, leading commuter bike models, and accessories that will enhance your fold up bike while commuting, on travel vacation, or taking a spin through nearby parks and streets.