Extreme weather conditions too can make us sick. As temperatures soar, we discover ten hot tips to keep you cool and beat the heat wave.
- Eat smaller meals and eat as often. When you eat larger meals, the more metabolic heat the body creates. Another important thing is to avoid eating foods that are very high in protein because it raises the body’s metabolic heat.
- Eat spicy food, though this could be the very last thing that you would want to do during hot weather, curries and chilies could help stimulate the heat receptors in the mouth. Spicy foods boost the circulation and therefore causes sweating, cooling your body down.
- Take a lukewarm bath or shower. It should be just below your body’s temperature. This is also effective before bedtime. Though a cold shower can be so tempting, your body will generate heat afterwards in order to compensate lost heat.
- Do you have a basement? You can use it especially during the hottest hours of the day. A basement is 10 to 15 degrees cooler.
- Always wear clothes that are lightweight and made of cotton. With synthetic fibers, heat is trapped. Cotton absorbs perspiration and the evaporation allows you to feel cooler. Light colors reflect the sun’s radiation.
- Keep the curtains down whenever you’re out to prevent your home from heating up like a greenhouse.
- Are you familiar with chrysanthemum tea? According to experts, chrysanthemum helps you relax and calm down. It also cools the head.
- Avoid alcohol on a hot day. You may be craving for a glass of chilled wine or a bottle of ice cold beer, but you should stay away from these drinks. It can only dehydrate your body. Instead, have some plain cold water or any drink with low sugar. Avoid drinks like colas or coffee that are high in caffeine. These drinks will only increase the metabolic heat of the body.
- Women should replace their usual body and facial moisturizer with products that contain Aloe Vera to help soothe the skin. It should be applied day and night. It also helps decreases the temperature of the skin when exposed to heat.
- Another important tip is to replace air conditioning filters. Take time to clean filters in window units. You can do this once a month.
We all know energy isn’t cheap but simple things costs nothing to implement. All you have to do is to always practice the tips above to keep yourself cool, save money, and most importantly save the environment.