In order to prevent sickness and disease, awareness and preparedness is the key. With the rising number of cancers, one mustn’t think that this is unavoidable. This can in fact be avoided with a healthy lifestyle, but taking time to know and understanding cancer facts will also help you prepare and make adjustments to your lifestyle.
As cancer plagues the human race, more and more studies were conducted about it. This deadly disease comes in various forms and affects the body in more ways than one. Here are some cancer facts based on research which can save your life:
• Cancer is the leading cause of death worldwide, with the most common cancers being lung, liver, stomach, and colon cancers. Among women, breast, colorectal, stomach, and cervical cancer are the biggest killers, while with men it is the prostate, lung, stomach, and liver cancers. In order to prevent these, take the time to research cancer facts like what causes common cancers and work on changing your lifestyle to prevent them.
• There are a number of things that contribute to this ailment. According to cancer facts, these are called carcinogens, or compounds that result in the growth of cancer cells. Carcinogens can be physical, which come in the form of ultraviolet rays and ionizing radiation; chemical carcinogens which are tobacco smoke, asbestos, aflatoxin, and arsenic; and biological carcinogens which come from certain infections and viruses such as the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), hepatitis B, and Kaposi Sarcoma.
• Low fruit and vegetable intake, alcohol use, and tobacco use also dramatically increase your risk for contracting cancer. According to cancer facts, having an unhealthy lifestyle and having vices like smoking and drinking promotes the growth of cancer cells.
• Aged persons are put at more risk for having cancer because during old age, this is when the accumulation or build up of cancer cells in the body will start to show as a result of an entire life of unhealthy living or exposure to carcinogens. This is combined with one of the cancer facts that as a person grows older, their body mechanisms are less effective in processing cellular repair, putting them at higher risk.
• Another important statement on cancer facts, is that all it takes to develop cancer is the growth of a single cancer cell. Because we are all born with cancer cells, making our body a host to grow these cells is entirely up to how we live our lifestyles. This leads to another important factor among cancer facts, which is that up to 30% of all cancers can be prevented.
• You can avoid carcinogens through a number of ways: staying at a healthy weight, getting exercise, eating leafy vegetables and fruits, avoiding indoor and outdoor pollution, limiting sexual partners which reduces your chances of acquiring sexually transmitted disease, being physically fit, avoiding too much sun exposure, staying away from micro waved foods, and moderation with alcohol.
Knowing all these cancer facts, it sums up to the conclusion that our lifestyle, food, and environmental choices will affect our risk for cancer, the food we eat, the air we breathe, where we live, and anything that we allow into our body. Given this, it’s not inevitable and this just means we should be more aware of everything we do and make changes as needed.