British-American artist Anthony James can now proudly boast of having artwork on every continent. His futuristic, geometric orb sculpture has found its home at the White Desert’s luxury travel group’s base camp in Antarctica. The sculpture is the centerpiece of Echo camp’s gallery hub, surrounded by six living pods that resemble chic starships. The theme of the camp is space exploration, fitting of the mind-blowing natural setting.
James’s sculpture journeyed from Los Angeles to Cape Town, then on to its southern destination, and the camp was built around it. The artwork is part of James’s “Portals” series of stainless steel, glass, and LED orbs that he’s been creating since 2008. Infinity is a theme of James’s Antarctica sculpture, and he’s attempting to visually demonstrate something that is very hard to comprehend.
The sculpture’s placement in the White Desert’s new eco-friendly camp in Antarctica is no coincidence. The camp’s pods were built from composite fiberglass, with floor-to-ceiling windows that take in the sweeping view of the snowy terrain. The camp’s design was also in line with White Desert’s sustainability projects, leaving no trace on the Antarctic landscape.
While Antarctica may not be on everyone’s travel bucket list, James’s description of the experience is sure to evoke a sense of wonder and serenity. “There’s not another place in the world that looks like this! It looks like you could be on a different planet, this vast white desert, ice as far as the eye can see—silhouettes of mountains in the backdrop and blue sky. This time of year, 24 hours a day, is the brightest light you’ve ever seen,” he said.
James’s sculpture will be auctioned, with 20 percent of sales benefitting White Desert’s sustainability projects. The eco-friendly camp and its unique artwork showcase the growing trend towards sustainable tourism, where travelers can enjoy unique experiences while minimizing their impact on the environment.
As individuals, we can also do our part by making sustainable travel choices and supporting eco-tourism initiatives. By being mindful of our carbon footprint, we can help protect fragile ecosystems such as Antarctica and ensure that future generations can continue to marvel at the wonder of the natural world.
There’s Only One Green Planet Tee by Tiny Rescue: Climate Collection
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Support Lumiserver & Cynesys on Tipeee
Visit our sponsors
Wise (formerly TransferWise) is the cheaper, easier way to send money abroad. It helps people move money quickly and easily between bank accounts in different countries. Convert 60+ currencies with ridiculously low fees - on average 7x cheaper than a bank. No hidden fees, no markup on the exchange rate, ever.
Now you can get a free first transfer up to 500£ with your ESNcard. You can access this offer here.