Guidance is being issued by the New York Department of Environmental Conservation on reducing conflicts between people and coyotes. The DEC says that coyote sightings are expected to increase in the next few months and is encouraging New Yorkers to be aware of the potential for conflicts and follow DEC guidelines.
Coyotes live throughout the state and typically avoid human contact. However, during the spring season, coyotes may have conflicts with people and/or pets, as coyotes are in their pupping period and tend to be more territorial and protective of their pups.
The DEC has given tips on how to reduce and prevent conflicts with coyotes below:
- Never feed coyotes.
- Do not leave food outside.
- Pet food and garbage attract coyotes and other wildlife and increase risks to people and pets.
DEC also encourages people to:
- Feed pets indoors.
- Prevent access to garbage.
- Fence or enclose compost piles.
- Eliminate availability of bird seed. Concentrations of birds and rodents that come to feeders can attract coyotes.
- Do not allow coyotes to approach people or pets. If you see a coyote, be aggressive in behavior, stand tall and hold arms up or out to look as large as possible. If a coyote lingers for too long, make loud noises, wave arms and throw sticks and stones.
- Teach children to appreciate coyotes from a distance.
- Do not allow pets to run free. Supervise outdoor pets to keep them safe from coyotes and other wildlife, especially at sunset and at night. Small dogs and cats are especially vulnerable.
- Fence yards to deter coyotes. The fence should be tight to the ground, preferably extending six inches below ground level and taller than four feet.
- Remove brush and tall grass from around homes to reduce protective cover for coyotes as they are typically secretive and like areas where they can hide.
- Ask neighbors to follow these steps to prevent coyote conflicts.
Additional information may be found HERE.
Support Lumiserver & Cynesys on Tipeee
Visit our sponsors
Wise (formerly TransferWise) is the cheaper, easier way to send money abroad. It helps people move money quickly and easily between bank accounts in different countries. Convert 60+ currencies with ridiculously low fees - on average 7x cheaper than a bank. No hidden fees, no markup on the exchange rate, ever.
Now you can get a free first transfer up to 500£ with your ESNcard. You can access this offer here.