BOSTON, Mass. (WGGB/WSHM) – The Massachusetts House of Representatives passed a clean energy and offshore wind bill Monday which included a provision eliminating biomass from being categorized as renewable energy.
This means that biomass plants, such as the proposed Palmer Paving biomass plant, will no longer qualify for certain state tax incentives.
The passing of this bill comes on the heels of President Joe Biden’s visit to Massachusetts last week to address climate change.
In a statement to Western Mass News, State Representative Orlando Ramos, who worked to defeat the proposed project as a Springfield city councilor, said:
“The goal here was to make it clear that there is a big distinction between ‘renewable energy’ and ‘biomass.’ It took over a decade to defeat the proposed plant in Springfield. I wanted to make sure that the taxpayers will not be subsidizing biomass; because I don’t want any other community to go through what we went through here in Springfield.”
Copyright 2022. Western Mass News (WGGB/WSHM). All rights reserved.
Wise (formerly TransferWise) is the cheaper, easier way to send money abroad. It helps people move money quickly and easily between bank accounts in different countries. Convert 60+ currencies with ridiculously low fees - on average 7x cheaper than a bank. No hidden fees, no markup on the exchange rate, ever.
How to access the offer?
1- Click here
2- Select “Register''
3- Enter your email address, create a password, and select your country of residence
4- Fill out the required personal information, and the free first transfer offer will be applied automatically.
Benefits of the Multi-Currency Account:
- Free to create online
- Hold 50+ currencies
- Get multiple local bank details in one account (including EU, UK, US)
- Convert currency at the real exchange rate, even on weekends
- Spend whilst travelling on the Wise debit card without high conversion fees
Wise International Transfers:
- $1.5 billion saved by customers every year
- Send money to over 60 target currencies
- Lower fees for larger transfers
- No hidden fees. No bad exchange rates. No surprises.
- Send your money with a bank transfer, or a debit or credit card