On June 22, we had a conversation with Sujan Sarka, winner of the 2022 Earth.Org Photography Competition. A teacher with a huge passion for photography, Sujan spends his free time taking powerful photos of wildlife in India in a bid to raise environmental awareness through what he describes as a ‘powerful’ and ‘essential’ tool.
Sujan Sarka is a teacher based in India, winner of the Overall Best Environmental Photo as well as the Wildlife in Peril Category of our 2022 Photography Competition.
In our online conversation on June 22, Sujan shared his thoughts on several topics, including:
- The story behind his winning photo. Sujan captured this stunning scene of a kumki, meaning trained captive elephant, being rescued by the forest department of West Bengal after being detached from its group
- His passion for photography and how he spends his free time documenting wildlife in India
- The power of photography in raising environmental awareness
- The importance of protecting the environment and preserving biodiversity
Sujan’s home country, India, is among the world’s most vulnerable areas to climate change, with its effects visible everywhere across the country, from its extremely polluted cities and waterways to the extreme weather events – such as floods and droughts – that relentlessly hit the country , sparking food insecurity, large-scale destruction, and biodiversity loss.
You might also like: 5 Biggest Environmental Issues in India in 2022
You can check out the full-length video of Earth.Org’s Conversation with Sujan Sarka here:
Our competition for 2023 has already kicked off! Make sure to follow us on social media for updates. If you would like to become a part of our global movement and mission, consider becoming an EO photographer. Earth.Org’s official photographers and their content will be regularly featured in our articles and our Instagram and Facebook posts. There is no financial commitment. When we post one of your photographs, we will inform you and ask you to repost the article or post on your Instagram story.
Wise (formerly TransferWise) is the cheaper, easier way to send money abroad. It helps people move money quickly and easily between bank accounts in different countries. Convert 60+ currencies with ridiculously low fees - on average 7x cheaper than a bank. No hidden fees, no markup on the exchange rate, ever.
How to access the offer?
1- Click here
2- Select “Register''
3- Enter your email address, create a password, and select your country of residence
4- Fill out the required personal information, and the free first transfer offer will be applied automatically.
Benefits of the Multi-Currency Account:
- Free to create online
- Hold 50+ currencies
- Get multiple local bank details in one account (including EU, UK, US)
- Convert currency at the real exchange rate, even on weekends
- Spend whilst travelling on the Wise debit card without high conversion fees
Wise International Transfers:
- $1.5 billion saved by customers every year
- Send money to over 60 target currencies
- Lower fees for larger transfers
- No hidden fees. No bad exchange rates. No surprises.
- Send your money with a bank transfer, or a debit or credit card