With the rise of data-driven industries, there has been a growing concern about the impact of our digital habits on the environment. However, a recent study by researchers from the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi suggests that deleting our emails may not be the most eco-friendly step we can take.
Source: NowThis Earth/Youtube
While deleting emails may seem like a small and simple action to reduce our carbon footprint, the researchers found that it only has a negligible impact on our overall environmental impact. The energy required to store an email in the cloud, whether it is being used or not, remains relatively constant, which means that deleting emails will not reduce the amount of energy consumed by the servers that store our data.
In fact, the carbon footprint of our email usage is primarily associated with the device that we use to compose, send, and read emails. This means that the best way to lower our carbon footprint is to use our devices less frequently, buy fewer devices, and keep using them for as long as possible. Moreover, upgrading to devices with low energy consumption is also a step in the right direction.
While it is true that our digital habits do have an impact on the environment, the carbon footprint of emails may not be as high as previously thought. By focusing on more effective eco-friendly steps, such as reducing the number of devices we use and upgrading to energy-efficient ones, we can make a significant impact on our carbon footprint.
As consumers, we have the power to choose greener options that can make a significant difference in reducing our carbon footprint. By being mindful of the environmental impact of our digital habits and taking proactive steps to reduce them, we can all do our part in creating a more sustainable future. So, let’s take a step towards a greener lifestyle and make a conscious effort to reduce our carbon footprint.
Planet B Not Found Tee by Tiny Rescue: Climate Collection
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Support Lumiserver & Cynesys on Tipeee
Visit our sponsors
Wise (formerly TransferWise) is the cheaper, easier way to send money abroad. It helps people move money quickly and easily between bank accounts in different countries. Convert 60+ currencies with ridiculously low fees - on average 7x cheaper than a bank. No hidden fees, no markup on the exchange rate, ever.
Now you can get a free first transfer up to 500£ with your ESNcard. You can access this offer here.